in the last 15 years in ministry i have often felt like a square peg trying to cram into a round hole. i just don’t fit. in many situations i find myself being the object of the child’s song, “one of these things is not like the other.” here are just a few:
– as someone that ministers to parents of children, i’m not a fit because i am not a parent. i try my hardest and pray that God would grant me wisdom to think like a parent, but the fact
is i’m not. so how can i really fit?
– in my great, sweet circle of friends i stick out as the only unmarried one. (always
completing the group as the 3rd, 5th, or 7th wheel.)
– in the kidmin ministry world that is constantly changing, evolving, and providing much
conversation, i would rather discuss what God is doing personally in the lives of those involved and avoid “shop” talk.
– the place i call home and lay my head just doesn’t fit as where my heart is.
– on a staff and in a ministry world of the seminary trained, i’m uneducated and carry a degree in mass communications. quite a far cry from theology.
– not to mention, i am surrounded by crimson wearing, tide cheering people, (oh and those orange fans of east tennessee) when my rally cry is “war eagle.”
today on a drive home after a much needed roadtrip, i pondered the above list (not really the last point). i even cried out to God for understanding and direction and He sweetly spoke to my heart. while i often don’t “feel” like i fit in many groups or situations He places me in, He gently reminded me i fit perfectly in the palm of His hand. that was enough for me. that Truth doesn’t dismiss my feelings, but brings comfort that while i wait and press on He never lets go.
anyone else ever feel like they just don’t fit?